Following President Duterte’s declaration of state of public health emergency and the imposition of an “enhanced community quarantine” for Metro Manila effective March 15, 2020 to April 14, 2020, the Philippine Intellectual Property Office (IPOPHIL) announced changes in the way it will operate during the quarantine period. These are:
- All new applications for patents, utility models, industrial designs and trademarks will only be accepted if filed online.
- Due dates falling within the quarantine period for annuities and maintenance fees, responses to office actions, declarations of use, renewals, motions for extensions, notices of opposition, answers to oppositions, cancellations, intellectual property violations, position papers, appeals, comments, and all other types of written submissions for the IPOPHIL are automatically extended for 30 calendar days counted from the due dates.
- All hearings, including mediations, preliminary conferences, and trials, that were scheduled during the quarantine period are suspended.
- Access to mailboxes at the IPOPHIL will be allowed during the quarantine period.
- All previously announced events at the IPOPHIL during the quarantine period will be rescheduled.
The Supreme Court has also suspended all hearings in all courts during the quarantine period. All written submissions that are due during this period are given an automatic extension of 30 days counted from April 15, 2020.
Based on the latest government announcement, everyone is mandated to stay home and all private businesses are mandated to close down operations until 12:00 A.M. on April 13, 2020.
Our firm will continue to deliver services to all our clients during the quarantine period.We have a system in place that would allow all the members of our firm to work from home. Once we are permitted to return to our office we will continue to implement our internal rules of conduct intended to keep our members and their families safe. We are happy to inform our friends and colleagues around the world that all of our members and their families are safe and doing well at this time.
Thank you for your support and understanding. We also hope for your health and safety in your respective countries during this challenging time.
We will continue to monitor the local situation and update you as necessary. Please email us at [email protected]if you have any questions.